Help IDing a building

Sat Oct 18 05:52:49 EDT 2014

Further history on the Huff Mill building, excerpted from from Norfolk and Western Magazine, February 1932, page 72

WHEN SIGNALS WERE NEW
A Glimpse into The History of the Railroad’s Modern Train Protection System Reveals Progressive Growth
By C. D. POTTS. Chief Clerk, Signal Deparlment. Roanoke
In the year 1900 a department of the Norfolk and Western Railway Company was organized which since has grown and accomplished much more than the average employee or citizen realizes. It ls the Signal Department. Beginning with 12 men, including one draftsman, one foreman and gang, it has built up, on the Norfolk and Western, a signal system equal to that of any railroad in existence. lts 4,500 automatic signals, exclusive of approximately 350 crossing signals and 60 interlocking plants, are of three general types and embody the principles of every known method of efficient, informative communication employed by railways for the operation of trains by signal indication.
<<snip>>

Because of fire in 1909, Mr. Richards was obliged to seek quarters elsewhere and he moved to the third boor of the Huff Mill Building. This structure was erected in 1891 by W. P. Huff, Huff sold it to J. B. Andrews and F. B. Thomas, who, In turn, sold it to the Norfolk and Western in April, 1905. Eight months later the Salvage Warehouse was placed there. Mr. Richards and W. C. Walstrum, superintendent telegraph at that time, stored their heavy material there also. The basement of the General Office Building was used by the Slgnal Department for storing lighter material. In May, 1909, room was made on the second door of the Huff Mill Building for an office and a drafting room. Partitions were put up and several adjustments made.

<<snip>>
The storehouse occupies a large portion of the building also. The entire basement and third door are used for the storage of signal, telegraph, telephone and motor car material. Emergency material of all kinds ls kept ln stock ready to ship and the organization of the storehouse if so arranged that one hour service at any time is available. It has at one time served 27 gangs and 180 maintainers.
The installation of automatic signals from 1910 was gradual and steady until in 1925 an innovation was made which illustrated the aim of the railroad to be as modern in it's facilities and eqplpment as possible. This was the Installation of position light type signals and automatic train control between Shenandoah and Hqgerstown, on the Shenandoah Division. These position light signals have been installed also between Portsmouth and Cincinnati, Roanoke and Winston-Salem and Bluefield and Norton. This last installation completed the equipping of the main line and some of the principal branch lanes of the entire system with automatic signals.
<<snip>

Ken Miller