Thu Oct 23 08:31:24 EDT 2014

Yeah, I know. All you got to do to keep from getting hit by a train is STAY OFF THE TRACKS. They won't jump off and chase you.

Thank You,
Jim Dempsey

Southern Ohio Fence Company, LLC
175 Kennison Road
Lucasville, Ohio  45648
sofence at msn.com

Office Phone (740) 259-5378
Office Phone (800) 398-5425
Office Fax      (740) 259-4545

Visit our website at www.southernohiofencecompany.com

Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 08:21:08 -0400
Subject: "Takin' Twenty" with the Virginian Brethren by Skip Salmon

Last night I had the pleasure of "Takin Twenty" with six of the Brethren
 and Friends of the Virginian Railway.  We signed two Happy Birthday
cards.  One is for one of the Best Friends of the Virginian Railway and
President of the Roanoke Chapter NRHS,Jeff Sanders.  Jeff is the
"whipper snapper" of the group at 68. The other one is for Dewey Houck
former Virginian Railway Surveyor who will be 80 tomorrow.
 Dewey is also very active in the Mullens area saving old artifacts and
buildings especially those once connected with our beloved VGN.  We also
 made final plans for the Road Trip to Victoria on Saturday.

 For Show and Tell and to answer last week's question, I took a recent
ebay purchase.  The first standard VGN issue battery powered hand
lantern was a Genesy made in Kansas City.  It has two lights and two
switches and the housing is made of copper (coated with nickel I
think).  This one I purchased on ebay has many cracks on the side and I
can see how they did not perform as intended and why the VGN changed
over to the Star.  I told the Brethren about an item I did NOT get on
ebay (I was "sniped"):  A sugar and cream set made by Reed and Barton
with VIRGINIAN RAILWAY on the bottom.  It went for $545.99.  The Genesy
lantern seems to be out there in a lot of places and most look like they
 are in bad shape.  I paid $17 for it.

 I told the Brethren about our Roanoke Chapter NRHS being asked by NS to
 loan our tool car #1407 for the movement of Y6a #2156 back to Roanoke
from St. Louis.  When she gets here, the trinity of steam, an N&W
class A, J, and Y will be on display together.....predicious!

 Ernie Hubble was with us last night and I had to kid him a little about
 the Kansas City Royals being such a good team....he is a devout Giants
fan.  He told a story about Minnie Pearl stating that "I want six female
 pall bearers with I die".  When asked Why, she responded "A lot of men
wouldn't go out with me while I was living so I don't want them taking
me out when I die!"  Landon Gregory told of visiting Richmond recently
to his brand new grandson's birthday party.  During the visit he sneaked
 over to Colonial Downs.  His wife Sandra found out about it and quizzed
 him about how much money he lost.  Landon answered "I had a very good
horse...it took six others to beat him".

 We talked about the Amtrak Exhibition train being in town last
weekend.  Someone asked why it had two locomotives and I had the
answer.  The second "unit" is  Non Powered Control Unit (NPCU) #406
which has a generator for head end power,carries baggage and has the
original cab...they call them "Cabbage" units

 The Jewel from the Past is from March 27, 2008: "Since Cornbread is
going to be 'laid up' for a while,while his new hip heals, he is
considering taking up playing the piano.  Recently he inquired about
someone who could tune his piano.  One of the Brethren suggested a
fellow who could do the job.  Cornbread called him and the man said
'Yes, I can tune a piano, I can tune anything'.  This prompted Cornbread
 to respond, 'But can you tuna fish?'"

 Time to pull the pin on this one!

 Departing Now from V248,

 Skip Salmon