Future of NWHS

Thu Oct 23 16:18:56 EDT 2014

John and List,

I agree with The comments about the Society basically being centered on the coal fields and also not providing  much post 1964 information or content. However, from my personal point of view, that's my interest. I feel the N&W died in 1964 when the flatland invaders came with their faded blue paint, low hoods, non-DB diesels and fluted passenger cars. I understand the railroad was still around but for many of us it just ceased to exist or became much less interesting.

As the N&WHS though, it's vital for the Society to keep the interest level up for all of us and they MUST present more than the coal country railroad many of us loved. I think there needs to be a balance between what was and what it became.

I think the BOD has a pretty good handle on what they are doing with the archives and the direction they are heading. I just wish I were closer so I could help with the process as I know they need more bodies helping to catalog and file things.

We are very fortunate to have such a high quality magazine in the Arrow. It's so well done and presented compared to the publications of other Societies.

I'd be FOR a dues increase especially if the annual calendar were included like the WMRHS does. Somehow, I never seem to get around to ordering it as a separate item.

My only real complaint has never been answered by anyone and has been ignored every time it's been asked which kind of pi***s me off. Why can't the manufacturer's or publisher's names be included in the Commissary listings? Many of us already have the items listed and without a manufacturers name or their number and photo often it's difficult to determine if one already has the item. I know I can't afford to buy something I already have and that would be a great help to me. I'm sure I'm not alone here. Rather than duplicate an item I often choose to not make a purchase which doesn't help the Society or fill me desire for more stuff.

My 2¢,
Roger Huber
Deer Creek Locomotive Works