Station drawings

Tue Nov 18 09:16:01 EST 2014

When the N&W was constructing the Clinch Valley Line (1887 – 1892) and Ohio
Extension there were specific contract forms for roadbed builders (Masonry
and Grading), bridge builders, and structure builders – four examples are
attached for structures (I only have copies of the first page). In all
cases the structures were to be built according to plans and dimensions
provided by N&W. The structure contracts were for the structure only. The
roadbed builder (who employed masons and graders) was normally tasked with
building the structure foundation . Painting was a separate contract which
was often awarded to the structure builder after the structure was built.
Station contracts were normally let such that planned stations were built
within 60 days of the railroad reaching the location. This would lead us to
believe that drawings existed at one time. However there no indexes to the
hundreds of boxes of material Archives volunteers have not been through. We
might find them someday.

Contractor costs for building a station type were generally the same
regardless of dimensions.

I have included 2 station drawings from the 1916 Clinch Valley Resurvey
Field Note Books. Station dimensions are also given in the 1917-1920 ICC
Valuation Notebooks. However the 1916 Resurvey team used inside dimensions
of structures and ICC Valuators use outside dimensions. I have not, as of
yet, come across a specific station plan, for pre-1915 stations. Plans I
have seen for later stations are generally because electric lights were
being added to the structure or water pipes were being changed.

The Clinch Valley Book was written because we discovered the various
station drawings and mile by mile detail in the 1916 Resurvey Field Note
Books. We estimate there are about 10,000 Field Note Books at the Archives
and we have been through about 600 so far. The NWHS-produced Clinch Valley
book contains many pertinent structural drawings (similar to the examples)
and siding diagrams taken directly from the field notebooks or reproduced
based on the field note books.

Structural data can be obtained from the ICC Valuation Note Books. While
they are not indexed, we generally know where to go to find pertinent
information.

Fortunately, when the N&W was originally built there were no communities
and so therefore there was no required permitting process. However, we
don’t know what was required when a station was rebuilt.

Alex Schust

Moderator: