Station drawings

Tue Nov 18 14:43:30 EST 2014

While I cannot speak directly on the Marion station, I can add some comments about the stations along the line between Bristol and Walton. Most of this came about during my research on the Wytheville station. I was never able to find a floor plan drawing of the Wytheville station. This included searching the NWHS archives, the Wythe County Historical Society, and the Wytheville Community College archives. While these drawings were undoubtedly created, they probably were not saved.

The stations along the Bristol line were originally built by the Virginia & Tennessee Railroad. Almost all of these were destroyed during the Civil War. At least some of the stations were rebuilt by the AM&O (probably most of them were). There doesn't appear to be a standard set of plans, or even standard concept, to these stations as they were rebuilt. I did determine that the Wytheville station was built to a floor plan very similar to that of Christiansburg (Cambria). The Christiansburg station was built out of wood; the Wytheville station, brick. A review of photographs of the remaining stations along the Bristol line shows similarities between pairs of stations. Pulaski and Marion have similar design elements, as do Max Meadows and Rural Retreat. I suspect that some of the stations were designed in pairs.

There is also no guarantee that what we see now represents the original plan. Wytheville was expanded in 1905, 1916, and renovated in 1949. There is very little of the original structure remaining.

Your best bet to get accurate dimensions of the Marion station is to field measure the building.  Be sure to ask permission.

Danial Fisher

To further Alex's statement, which are good, I've snipped out most of his comments.