Christiansburg N&W CPLs Going, Going, . . .

Tue Nov 18 20:56:30 EST 2014

I've pretty much been told I could have one or more.  Have you ever looked at one laying on the ground and considered the size and weight involved?  And if you add the mast into the situation?  You'd need some sort of crane (or backhoe) with rigging (to load and unload) and a trailer to transport it on......... (if you didn't want to really mess-up your pickup truck).  I've been considering options for getting one (or more) from VA to GA.........as well as how to explain where in the yard I'd locate it to my wife (and have her agree)!   A standard N&W CPL is a bit larger than my N&W CPL dwarf that sets next to the garage door on the driveway!

Over the years I've fortunately shot many trains (and continue to shoot trains) at CPL locations on the Radford (now VA) and Pocahontas Divisions.  Several shots recently at the locations Bruce mentions. When a CPL is changed out the aesthetics, and unique N&W theme of your picture really suffers!  On the other hand I'm sure the maintainers and others in the signal dept. are very pleased and happy.  When the emotion clears in the end it's a business thing and upgrading the signaling system supports smooth train operations and cost reductions that positively affect our NS stock!  I'll still miss them when they're gone.

Ed Painter - born in Bluefield - from Narrows, VA - living in Dahlonega, GA