signal aspect

Wed Nov 26 18:04:02 EST 2014

Jim,

I am not aware of this aspect being used in this situation, at least
with CPL's. Diverging Approach Diverging can be applied here, but not
because of a crossover followed by a facing-point junction--both are
within the same interlocking, governed by the one westward signal on
each main that you mentioned. Diverging Approach Diverging is displayed
on the first of two consecutive signals, both controlled and lined for a
diverging route. In effect, the first signal displays two indications,
Diverging Clear and Approach Diverging, in this one aspect. The second
(next) signal would be the home (controlled) signal at the east end of
the siding at Furnace, displaying Diverging Approach. So a WB on either
main would see a Diverging Clear if the CV main is clear to the west end
of Furnace, a Diverging Approach if the CV main is clear to the east end
of Furnace, and a Diverging Approach Diverging if clear to the west end
of the siding.

Much like Approach Restricting discussed earlier, the N&W seemed to find
little, sustained use for Approach Diverging Approach after adopting it
late. In both cases, the established, more conservative aspects of
Approach and Diverging Approach, respectively, were often used/retained
instead.

Happy Thanksgiving

Grant Carpenter
---