End of the year quiz #1

Fri Dec 12 08:33:05 EST 2014

Jim -

I agree with Jeff in that the river shown in the first frame is too small to be the New River.  What is the name of the video these still frames were taken from?

The second photo almost has an Ohio look to it.

Initially I was thinking Christiansburg for that last shot with the water tank, but the geography isn't right.

Jeff Hawkins

  Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2014 10:41 AM
  Subject: Re: End of the year quiz #1

  The river isn't large enough for the New. Those do appear to be derails, which are not normally used on main lines. Might be nearing the end of a (double track) branch?

  Jeff Sanders

  Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2014 9:46 AM
  Subject: End of the year quiz #1

  I have captured images form some 1950s video and am hoping Y'all will be able to help me identify the locations.  I will add my guesses and/or identifying features I have noticed as I looked at them.  Thanks for your help.

  p1: Maybe somewhere along new river and are those derails just in front of the signals?

  p2:  battery case on raised platform might indicate this location was/is prone to flooding.

  p3:  Nice water tank and I assume pump house nest to it.

  Jim Cochran

  Moderator: