Railroads in natural resource buffer zones

Mon Jan 19 13:20:49 EST 2015

I am undertaking research on railroads and their social and economic impact
in natural resource buffer zones (zones with or near considerable natural
resources) focusing on the central Appalachian mining areas of West
Virginia.   And also trying to determine if there is a museum or
documentation center which would want to receive my already very
considerable book and document collection on this subject, when I finish my
own intended publications.   I also have considerable material for a
comparative study of the Costa Rican-Panamanian border area and am
identifying a possible third comparative region in Chile.  I will be
Amtraking from Miami to New England in March, and would like to visit the
museums and documentation collections which have the most information on
this subject and/or might be most interested in receiving my collection, and
will greatly appreciate suggestions or recommendations in this regard.

After working in 39 countries for the United Nations, teaching in 22
universities and residing several decades in Costa Rica, much of my work in
transport, I have become quite concerned about the dominant paradigms of the
international organizations regarding investments in transport
infrastructure and services, and wish to make a critical analysis of the
historical impact of this public and private investment.

Warren Crowther

 <mailto:warren13 at racsa.co.cr> warren13 at racsa.co.cr

Costa Rica