1895 at Kenova: N&W and C&O Crossing - National Signal Co.

Fri Jan 23 18:52:23 EST 2015

The Railroad Gazette magazine (vol. 27, p. 75, Feb 1, 1895) carries two sentences bearing upon the N&W at Kenova:

"SIGNALING CONTRACTS: The National Switch & Signal Co. has been awarded the contract for furnishing signaling apparatus at Kenova, W.Va., at the crossing of the double main track of the Chespeake & Ohio with the Norfolk & Western. This company has also been awarded the contract for furnishing standard station block signals for the Chesapeake & Ohio."

Can anyone interpret what this was all about? I think it was probably a manually controlled interlocking owned by the C&O and, given the date (1895,) it was probably a standard armstrong interlocking without the application of electric track circuits or locking... my guess.

-- abram burnett