Concrete Water Tank - Chesapeake

Wed Feb 4 14:20:23 EST 2015

As shown by the attached photo of the Wilson, VA, concrete water tank there
was a doorway to the lower level where the windows are located (anyone want
to climb that ladder on the side of the tank?).  It is my guess that the
water treatment equipment was located in the lower level, and the windows
provided some illumination in the daytime for inspections and servicing of
the water treatment equipment.  These water treatment plants required
periodic inspections and servicing, and the N&W employed water service men
to look after the treatment plants.  I knew a chemist from the N&W lab
(Greenwood "Greeny" Edwards) who supervised the N&W's water treatment
program.

Incidentally, in my notes there is reference to a concrete water tank at
Dwight, VA (c. MP N-39).  Also, the Va. Tech database shows a concrete
water tank at Shaffers Crossing, Roanoke.

Gordon Hamilton

Moderator:
See VT Imagebase image of Wilson watertank:
   http://imagebase.lib.vt.edu/view_record.php?URN=nw1048