Baker Valve Gear

Wed Feb 11 10:35:03 EST 2015

This is a very interesting topic. I had never heard that the Walschaerts would jump into reverse before. Possibly so.

It seems, though, that Walschaerts was a more common VG than Baker throughout this country and the world. I also understood that Baker required a royalty payment and was more complex and heavier with many more parts than WVG. Perhaps that could explain the popularity of the WVG? Personally I prefer the looks of the Baker and I'm glad to see N&W favored that type VG.
I read someplace that the Baker long travel (their term) was a very rugged VG and was more than able to withstand the forces generated by the more modern engines hence it's more frequent use in the declining years of huge super powered engines.
Who really knows? I'm sure Ed King, Louis Newton and Mr. Jeffries are about the best sources of info around though.
Maybe the WVG issue was why a lot of that type gear on many roads was operated with the screw wheel setup? I understand it gave the engineer very precise control of the VG.
Very interesting discussion!
Roger HuberDeer Creek Locomotive Works