Concrete Water Tank

Wed Feb 18 10:28:37 EST 2015

Suppose the spout were attached to a pipe going to the bottom of the tank. When the water level is higher than the spout, the system works as expected. However, once it starts, and the water level falls below the spout, you have a siphon capable of emptying the tank without pumping. I have no idea whether they did this, but someone on this list might?Gerhard PostpischilBradford, Vermont

As far as the Yadkin tank, it served two main tracks.  Water spouts
on the outside of both tracks were used to fill tenders, so they were
below the water level in the tank.  Different strokes for different folks,
but to me the question is why was the Yadkin tank ever built ?  N&W
had a mid-district coal and water station at Dwight (probably up to
World War II) and Lamberts Point wasn't but 15 miles away.
                                                                      Harry Bundy