question

Tue Mar 31 15:54:08 EDT 2015

Here is a question for those more knowledgeable about steam service facilities than I:  I am working on the engine service area of the O Scale VGN (www.vgnrailway.com).  Got myself one of the brass R&S ash put lifts made by Overland.  I failed however to plan for the center to center track distance between the track with the ash pit, and the track where the gondola sits under the ash dump.  So for that track to diverge an sufficient distance, it would put the ash pit close to or across from the coaling tower.  Is that OK, or did the dump for hot ashes have to be placed away from the coaling tower to avoid risk of starting fires?

thanks all

Michael Ross
Ft Worth, TX
This years O Scale Southwest meet is Oct 16-17