Virginian Station Clock Question

Wed Apr 22 10:26:16 EDT 2015

Ken:
Certainly I'm not an authority on builder plates, but
25 years ago or more, I came across a Lima plate
with the construction # 8861 at the Gaithersburg, MD
train show. It was tucked under a table.  Seller said he
didn't know what locomotive it covered; that the plate had
been bought in Lynchburg, and that he thought it to be
from a U.S. Army 0-6-0  What the heck, spend $100 now,
do the research later.

Turned out to my surprise that it was for a Virginian
AG , No. 902.   But as time went by, I got suspicious.
I had seen two more 8861s and mine had been painted
red, with outline and numbering in yellow.  Jim Blackstock
said he'd never poured one.

A few years later, a railroad friend and I traveled to
the Columbus, Ohio show.  We picked up a retired VGN
employee at Princeton.  I don't think we'd gotten to
Charleston before it came to light that I had a VGN
builder plate.  The Princeton man wanted to buy it, but I
wouldn't sell.  He spent some 600 miles degrading me.
Sure am glad he never found  out  what a dupe I was.
                                                                 Harry Bundy