Bristol Line

Mon May 4 12:46:03 EDT 2015

Regarding the Radford Division and employees, I only ever saw "Pulaski
District" in writing (timetable), but heard "Bristol Line."
"Christiansburg" and "Whitethorne" referred to dispatchers while the
districts were referred to as "N&W side" and "Virginian side." Diesel
engines were called "motors" and most often by enginemen, with a
distinction made between EMD and GE. Terms "engine(s)" and "unit(s)"
seemed more prevalent in that order as you got away from the track.

As Chase points out, the term "motors" extends to the Pocahontas
Division, but this is an unusual case of "usage shift." Those that
worked in electrified territory referred to electrics as "motors" and
even made the distinction between LC-1's and -2's. With a six-year
interim between the end of electrification and diesels, no direct
distinction was required, but most tended to refer to diesels by their
series number as was the practice with steam classes. With no experience
of the electrification, seems new hires gradually shifted usage to that
of the Radford Division.

As Frank mentions, term usage depended on the job, location, and era.

Grant Carpenter