odd photo

Tue May 19 21:04:54 EDT 2015

ok, the Z1b's had 1 piece cylinder castings vs the slide valve versions.

I'm staring down some pictures of the Z1a's in Princes book,  Like my
model of the Z1a, the rear and front cylinders the size differrence is
not really that much, if you stared at it from the side, they look about
the same size. I can see the diameter differences, thats obvious, but
the size differences is not bizarre.

Alco made the first Z1's, then Baldwin the next set of the Z1a's, then
Schnectedy the 3rd set, all Z1a's.

1319 the front cylinder looks roughly half the bulk diameter of the drivers.
1368 the cylinder looks almost the diameter of the driving wheels.
(I'm talking the outward appearance, not that the actual cylinders might
still be 35 inches)
1368 has the slide valves as does the 1319.
some of these front cylinders are looking like monsters like they came
right off a Y6b.
Someone or you mentioned some of the Z1b's were refitted with slide
valves for some reason and downgraded to a Z1a? One Z1b pic shows a
smaller front cylinder similar to the Z1a but using the piston valve.
There seem to be some wide variations in applications how the Z1a-Z1b
mods happen and parts used. The Prince book does not mention this
discrepancy, nor do I see mention of a reconvert Z1b to a slide valve,
not that they couldn't have, but you know the N&W, heavy experimenter.

I know now if I wanted to convert my model Z1a to a Z1b maybe I'll
borrow a Y6b front cylinder casting.

I may have to stare down the N&W NRHS archive on this. They show some
little things like boiler patch repairs on the M2c's

-Lynn-