Thu May 21 09:47:30 EDT 2015

Last night I had the honor of "Takin' Twenty" with six of the Brethren and
Friends of the Virginian Railway.  We signed a Happy Birthday card for
Russell McDaniel who was VGN Master Mechanic at Victoria at the merger and
retired as Manager Motive Power and Equipment N&W.  Mr. Mac will be 93 on
Friday and I will give him this card at a celebration at his home with his
family.

 Attending for the first time was J. E. "Jeff" Hensley from Pikeville, KY.
Jeff retired from NS 1/1/2013 with 39 years service as General Yardmaster,
Pocahontas Division.  He grew up in Williamson and served most of his
service in that area.  He brought a book full of photos, brochures, train
orders and other train items for the Brethren to peruse.  One particular
N&W 19 Bulletin Train Order #437 was dated November 30, 1959 and
established "VN" Tower in Salem at the new connection, that tied the VGN
into the N&W system there.  I have posted a scan of this order on this site
under "Skip's Photos".  His N&W service as conductor brought him into
Elmore after the merger.  Landon Gregory was especially interested in the
train orders since he wrote many while an operator on the VGN.  Landon told
of writing one in 1957 after passenger service on the VGN was discontinued
on the Norfolk Division for probably the last passenger train ever run by
VGN.  It was run an  XTRA Passenger Train by train order.  After looking at
the book, former VGN Engineer Raymond East told us about going to work
during the time VGN had diesels and steam engines and seeing one yard steam
engine and one H16-44 diesel dreading to see if he got the coal burner or
the diesel.  "The steam engine required 8 hours of back braking work;  The
diesel was a 'pie job'".

Clarence Robertson, VGN Power Director, and the Brethren remembered many
joint acquaintances including Lincolnhogers, Inges, Cawleys and Harmans.  I
asked him about what kind of coal was used to fire the six boilers at the
Glen Lyn Power Plant.  He said it was what they called 'bone coal' and it
'wouldn't burn in a wood stove'.  He remembered scheduling trains so that
one going up grade would be assisted by one in 'regeneration' going down
grade.  He recalled sometimes the "Squareheads" worked so hard it would
'put the fire out in a a boiler or two'.  Also when electrics were using
'dynamic braking' only, the electrodes in the New river would 'crack and
pop like a shotgun and cause it to boil'.  Cornbread asked if there were
many fish near the Plant and he said 'not many'.  Someone asked him if it
was very loud in the Plant when all six of the boilers were on line and he
answered 'Sometimes it sounded like a jackass in a tin barn'".

 Sometime soon, we will be able to recreate the famous N&W photo of the Big
Three steam class locomotives together: A-Class #1218; J-Class #611 and Y6a
Class #2156.  I was wondering for the Virginian side if we had the same
opportunity, what would you suggest as the Big Three Virginian Set:  EL-C?
EL-2b? Train Master? AG? BA? AE?  Please respond.

 Then there's this:  While assembling furniture, Mary asked her roommate's
five-year-old son to bring her a screwdriver.  "Do you want a 'Daddy'
screwdriver or a 'Mommy' screwdriver? the little boy asked.  Confused with
the question, Mary said "Bring me a 'Mommy' screwdriver.  The child came
back and handed her a butter knife.

 Time to pull the pin on this one!

 Departing Now from V248,

 Skip Salmon