VMT's Class J Trademark

Mon Jun 1 14:48:41 EDT 2015

Jim,

You are making an incorrect assumption with regards to the NWHS and NWHS BoD. Ron’s message states this is what he knows about the topic which is with regards to an unapproved trademark application.

NWHS BoD began making inquiries about the trademark application in April. At this point we have been verbally told it will not affect the NWHS. It is hard to go beyond that statement until an actual trademark is approved and we know what we are actually dealing with. The topic had not been officially taken up by the BoD because we are presently dealing with conjecture and opinion. My own personal views are that the present trademark application beyond the logo and the slogan is an over reach.

NWHS and VMT are separate organizations. NWHS deals with paper. VMT deals with mechanical things. There is no real juxtaposition of each organizations objectives, so please don’t conflate the two separate organizations.

The NWHS BoD deals with organizational objectives derived from the NWHS Charter, Mission Statement and Vision Statement. My opinion is an expression of NWHS disapproval, while sounding nice, is truly irrelevant to VMTs business plans if, in fact, they plan to operate the J. While NWHS has supplied a multitude of plans from the archives for the J restoration, NWHS is not their advisor. So I am not sure what situation you have placed the NWHS in in your last sentence. NWHS is not a lobbying body or a VMT governing body. NWHS members can make their views known to VMT and NWHS BoD can choose to make an expression of concern, but like you, in the end, we are simply observers (and commentators) of life passing by with regard to VMT and its plans.

With regards to the archives, NWHS does charge people for using material from the Archives for reproduction purposes (books, videos, industry or historical displays) and we have a policy stating that just as every other historical archives charge for photos, research documents, etc. Sometimes all we ask for is a courtesy note explaining where the photo or document came from. Those funds contribute to the operational upkeep of the archives. Of course we don’t charge for anyone wanting to take a picture of the building from a public thoroughfare.

Alex Schust