Class H9 Hoppers

Thu Jun 4 17:06:07 EDT 2015

The one at Spencer IS an H-9.

Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2015 1:23 PM
To: NW Mailing List
Subject: Re: Class H9 Hoppers

Is the one at Spencer an H9 ?  Ron H

I am working on modeling a N&W Class H9 Hopper. I have conducted much research at the N&WHS Archives, the Va. Tech library photo archives, own a copy of Dow's Coal Cars book and have nearly everything I need to complete my project. (Subsequently I have nearly finished a 3D CAD version modeled in Solidworks.) However, I am a bit foggy on the details of the hopper door frames. It is a Wine Co. hopper door design with a cast frame and door.

Does anyone know if there are any existing H9 hoppers out there in the world that escaped the scrap yard. I could see where a community, especially one up in coal country may have a static display ... say in the town square or like place. If feasible I would like to visit where one might exist and look things over to help my understanding of the door frame design. I am not sure if that design was shared with other classes of hopper. If that is the case, an examination of an alternate class of hopper might be helpful also.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Kevin Byrd
Chesterfield, VA