Stepping Stone Rd Bridge - Blue Ridge, VA

Tue Jun 9 19:21:30 EDT 2015

Jeff,

I believe your pix is of the "east photographer's bridge" (not the
celebrated "west" bridge, facing the famous S curve west of Blue Ridge,
dismantled decades ago), just east of Buford's Gap and the
Bedford-Botetourt County line.  My track map shows an "O.H. Steel
Bridge" at 12721+11.7 (west of MP 245).  No indication of build date,
but the map further identifies the structure as from Plan Y4366, which
perhaps you can find in the NWHS archives.  With a little luck there may
be a date.

I know the bridge, serving a private road, at least some decades ago.
Your 2015 shot, which matches one I took some years back, not
surprisingly shows far more mature trees than at the time of my last
visit there.  What stories this aged veteran could tell!

Frank Gibson