Much Better Image of "PC" in 1912 - with Comments

Sat Jun 20 13:35:14 EDT 2015

Several weeks ago I sent out a scan of a bad print of an old 1912 photograph taken in the Philadelphia & Reading's "PC" Office in Reading Terminal.

The Reading Co. Technical & Historical Society informed me they own the original glass plate negative, and sent me a high-res 75 meg TIFF scan, asking for comments.

PC was the General Offices telegraph office for the Reading, located right in headquarters, Reading Terminal in Philadelphia.

Attached is the image, which I have not Photoshopped in any way other than to cut down the file size. My comments trail in the correspondence below.

After Reading Terminal had been conveyed to SEPTA (SouthEast Pennsylvania Transit Authority,) the whole upper part of the Terminal was abandoned and closed off. One of the SEPTA officials (whose initials "P.T." will be recognized by some of you) took me up there to old PC Office, and I came home with one jack field (1/4 inch bronze pin jacks) from a whole bank of such things. As I recall, we had to use flashlights, as there was no electricity to that part of the building. It is slated to go to the RDG T&HS when I am no longer around to use it. I think that item post-dates this photograph.

-- 73 SW &
(adb)

Sent to You from my Telegraph Key
... better than AT&T 4G LTE