Empty (tare) weight of 611's Auxiliary Tender?

Wed Jul 8 15:49:35 EDT 2015

Dave,

I have to limit my comments because I was on the research car for two days, and the final numbers have not been run.   However, I can address the conservatism of N&W's testing procedure back in 1945  from  work I did years ago.  The often quoted 5,028 DBHP at 41 mph was actually made in a series of tests that were designed to measure the economy of raising the steam pressure to 300 psi.  As a result, in order to hold constant speed with constant load (1,065 tons), the 300 psi tests were run with a shorter cutoff than the 275 psi tests.  So the word "maximum" doesn't seem to be a very descriptive adjective to apply to the DBHP reading.  I don't believe N&W used it in the test report either.   Also the unit evaporation rate I estimated for the test was about 77 lbs of water per SF of direct heating surface.  Baldwin  recommended 80lbs/SF DHS as a nice achievable figure for daily working.  So, you can draw your own conclusions about whether the sometimes-heard 5,200 DBHP maximum at 45-50 mph is over the top or not.  I don't think it is.  The J's were body-builders in a very stylish outfit!

Dave Stephenson