Scales

Mon Aug 3 16:40:01 EDT 2015

On Aug. 1, abram asked:

Any idea when the weigh-in-motion scale was developed for railroad use, and
> where its first several applications were on the N&W?
> Prior to the 1943 new hump at Shaffers Crossing, and the weighing of coal
> at that location, did the N&W also weight its Tidewater coal on its arrival
> at Norfolk, like the VGN?

A search on "scale" in the collection of annual reports turns up quite a
number of locations where cars could be weighed. It also looks like the N&W
was thrifty, moving scales that were replaced by larger-capacity ones to
other locations on the system.

Note that in 1914 "automatic scales" were installed in several locations.
Based on the description of Lambert's Point upgrades, these were
weigh-in-motion scales. In 1927, it specifically mentioned scales for
"motion weighing" were installed at Columbus and Portsmouth.

Bruce in Blacksburg

-------------

*1897 Annual Report:*

Sidings removed:
Winston Scale Track

*1899 Annual Report:*

Scale Test Weight Car -- Acquired Between Oct. 1 1896, and June 30, 1899.

*1900 Annual Report:*

Wharves, Docks, Interlocking Plants, Buildings, Water Stations, etc.

Lambert's Point. . . . . . . . . . . . .Replaced light scales by 100 ton
scales.

Bluefield ...Track scales 100 ton capacity 46 feet long erected, replacing
lighter scales.

Vivian . . . . . . . . . . . .  Addition made to scale house

*1901 Annual Report:*

East Radford . ...... . . . . . . . . . . Track scales put in.
Abingdon . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 42-ft. track scales were
constructed.
Bluefield . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Track scale No. 2 replaced by
100-ton track scale, 46 ft. long.
East Williamson.............. Scale-house and scales constructed.

*1902 Annual Report:*

Luray . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I 46-ft. track scales,
formerly used  at Bluefield, were repaired and erected at Luray.
Shenandoah . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Track scales were removed from
Shenandoah Ore Branch to freight station.
Norton . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Scale house erected.
Ironton . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Track scales 36 feet
long erected in place of light ones.
Portsmouth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Moved 80-ton Howe track
scales, 38 feet long, from C., P. & V. track and erected at Portsmouth
freight station.

*1903 Annual Report:*

Shenandoah. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Standard capacity 75-ton track
scales installed.

*1904 Annual Report:*

Standard 100-ton capacity track scales were installed at Petersburg,
Roanoke, Pulaski, Vivian, East Portsmouth, and Valley Crossing.

*1905 Annual Report:*

Standard 100-ton capacity track scales were installed at Riverton, Marion,
Wilcoe, Columbus, and Sardinia.

*1906 Annual Report:*

A standard 100-ton capacity track scale was installed at Chillicothe.

*1914 Annual Report:*

150-ton scales were installed at Lamberts Point, Petersburg, Crewe and East
Roanoke, Va.

200-ton automatic scales were installed: two at Lamberts Point Pier No. 4;
two at East Bluefield Yard, and one at West Bluefield Yard, W. Va.

A scale storehouse 40 x 52 feet was erected at Roanoke Shop Yard and master
scales were installed.

A new steel coal pier on concrete foundations has been completed and"
placed in operation at Lamberts Point. This pier is 1200 feet long, 71 feet
wide and 90 feet high above water, is equipped with all electrically
operated machinery in duplicate, consisting of double car dumpers and
elevators for hoisting cars to top of pier, and will handle 600 cars per
day of 10 hours. A brick sub-station has been constructed, 48 x 57 feet,
for converting and controlling the electric power. A hump yard, with 12
gravity tracks, 30 cars each, has been provided to supply this pier
arranged so that all cars pass over duplicate 200-ton automatic scales to
secure weights before dumping.

*1915 Annual Report*

150 ton scales were installed at Norfolk, Va. and Ironton, Ohio, and a 200
ton scale at Bluefield, W. Va.

*1916 (Dec.) Annual Report*

A 200-ton track scale was erected at Toms Creek, Va., and a 150-ton track
scale at Suffolk, Va.

*1917 Annual Report*

....a 200-ton track scale installed at Williamson, W. Va.

*1921 Annual Report*

150 ton scales were installed at Pulaski and Bristol, Va.

*1923 Annual Report*

A 200-ton track scale was erected at Lambert Point, Va., two 200-ton track
scales -- replacing lighter scales -- were erected at Portsmouth, Ohio, and
150-ton track scales -- replacing lighter scales -- were erected at East
Radford, Va., and Kenova, W. Va.

*1924 Annual Report*

A 150-ton track scale was erected at Pembroke, Va.

*1926 Annual Report*

Track scales were installed as follows: One each of 200 tons capacity at
Island and Richlands, Va., and one of 150 tons capacity at Bluestone Power
House, W. Va., replacing 100-ton scales. A 200-ton scale was moved and
reconstructed at Williamson, W. Va.

*1927 Annual Report*

A track scale of 200 tons capacity was installed at Columbus, Ohio, for
motion weighing, releasing one of 150 tons capacity removed to Chillicothe,
Ohio, and one of 300 tons capacity, for motion weighing, was re-located at
Portsmouth, Ohio.

*1928 Annual Report*

The new yard at Winston-Salem, N. C., including 14 yard tracks, sundry
running, car repair, and wye tracks, water station, shop and storage
buildings, track scale of 200 tons capacity, flood light tower system and a
second track between the old and new yards, was completed.

*1929 Annual Report*

Track scales of 200 tons capacity were installed at Hopewell and
Shenandoah, Va.

*1930 Annual Report*

Track scales of 100-ton capacity were installed at Ivanhoe, Va.

*1931 Annual Report*

A master track scale of 150,000 Ibs. capacity was installed at Roanoke, Va.

*1937 Annual Report*

At Blue Ridge, Va., 150-ton track scales were installed.

*1955 Annual Report*

Portsmouth yard improvements: The former complex system has been replaced
by one master retarder and four group retarders, controlled from a single
tower. Regardless of the speed of the car as it enters the retarder, it
emerges at a predetermined constant speed, which is insured by the
automatic speed control. In this operation, all cars are handled over the
hump individually and each car is weighed in motion as it passes over the
scales.

*1962 Annual Report*

N&W Coal Pier 6: Twin rotary dumpers will empty four cars simultaneously,
thawing sheds will accommodate 16 cars, and new automatic scales will weigh
two cars at a time.

*1972 Annual Report*

In September 1972, NW completed installation at Prichard, West Virginia, of
scales which weigh coal cars while they are coupled and moving in trains.
Those scales and related ACI scanners, after determining car number and
weight, transmit the data to NW's computer in Roanoke where the car's gross
weight is compared with its empty weight. The resulting net weight of the
coal is then transmitted to Kenova, West Virginia, and Portsmouth, Ohio,
for billing purposes in advance of train arrival.