steamers, which were better? UP's or N&W's? OR ???????

Tue Aug 11 21:17:09 EDT 2015

The engines were primarily designed for the area they were in. For such
large fireboxes they probably had huge amounts of that coal available
perhaps very cheaply as it might not be useful anywhere else.

Its like the UP Turbines, they made them because they used a quality of
oil that was pretty cheap at the time.

For the other engines again they were designed for the place they were
at. UP needed high stepping articulateds to get across the long streches
of territory fast, N&W needed heavy duty slow grinding powerful engines
to get over the rough mountain terrain.
The list goes on and on about specific design for specific uses.

I can't point out if a big boy was better than a Y6b, but if you traded
them for the other both would fail miserably. UP did buy some N&W Y's
but eventually scrapped them.

-Lynn-