Numbers

Wed Aug 12 23:41:03 EDT 2015

Jerome:

You're asking me to do "informed speculation", always a dangerous
proposition under the best of circumstances.  However, as my friends keep  reminding
me, I long ago retired the "angels fear to tread" award, so here  goes.

No.  Remember, by the time the Js were designed, N&W had lots of
experience with the Ks, 1, 2, and 2a.  I think they knew that they needed  the
initial tractive effort of an eight-drivered locomotive.  The N&W  is the total
opposite of the "Water Level Route", and even NYC went to  Mohawks and
Niagaras later in the steam era.  NYC had lots of long runs  between stations,
which N&W did not, even with the Powhatan Arrow, so  "getting out of Dodge"
quickly was a big deal.  And, of course, the  grades.  Remember, NYC had to use
helpers to get trains up the hill  from Albany to Schenectady, and I don't
have that grade committed to  memory, but I think it was less that what N&W
had pretty much  everywhere.

The J3 Hudsons had the DBHP at high speeds for sustained running, but
their low end TE would have been woefully inadequate for the N&W's  needs.

Thanks for honoring me by asking me to perform "informed speculation";  I
hope this helped.

Regards,

Dave Phelps

In a message dated 8/12/2015 10:25:27 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,