Planing Mill Question

Sun Sep 20 10:36:07 EDT 2015

The device you see at the top of the building is called a cyclone dust collector or in this case sawdust and wood chips. From the photograph, it looks like the wood debries was collected in the building, most likely a large enclosed bin and the disposed of.  If the planing mill had its own boiler house, then in all likely hood, it was burned for fuel.  Another possibility was that it was loaded into hoppers and sent to paper mills or sold to other manufactures of wood products, such as particle board.
Larry Smith

 Recently someone asked me about cars (of another road) which were designated "Shaving(s) Cars" in the Equipment Register.

This made me think about the Shaffers Crossing planing mill. The planing mill had a large metal retaining tank, perhaps 60 feet in the air, into which I think the wood shavings from the planing work may have been blown. It was located on the south side of the planing mill, adjacent to the Ice House.

Does anyone know how disposition was made of the shavings? Were they burned on-site for steam generation, sold, or disposed of as trash?  Unfortunately, the planing mill was closed shortly before I hired, and I never took time to explore it or ask questions.

Photo attached, with red arrow pointing to this tank.  Notice that the tender of Engine 2112 sports an antenna for what appears to be inductive train phone equipment.

-- abram burnett,
           turnip baron