Planing Mill Question

Mon Sep 21 14:38:06 EDT 2015

There is also some other cylindrical object / equipment on the tender seen blocking the view of the doghouse in that photo.  What is that?

Brent Greer

Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 08:28:35 -0400
Subject: Planing Mill Question

Recently someone asked me about cars (of another road) which were designated "Shaving(s) Cars" in the Equipment Register.

This made me think about the Shaffers Crossing planing mill. The planing
 mill had a large metal retaining tank, perhaps 60 feet in the air, into
 which I think the wood shavings from the planing work may have been
blown. It was located on the south side of the planing mill, adjacent to
 the Ice House.

Does anyone know how disposition was made of the shavings? Were they
burned on-site for steam generation, sold, or disposed of as trash?
Unfortunately, the planing mill was closed shortly before I hired, and I
 never took time to explore it or ask questions.

Photo attached, with red arrow pointing to this tank.  Notice that the
tender of Engine 2112 sports an antenna for what appears to be inductive
 train phone equipment.

-- abram burnett,

           turnip baron

Sent to You from my Telegraph Key