[Spam] RE: The Pocahontas Image

Wed Sep 23 23:03:15 EDT 2015

Okay, I give up. The car in the shadow of the bridge is a BMf, so this is the Pocahontas. Please disregard all my previous posts!
Jim Nichols

 Jim, After the last J’s were built in 1950, I only saw J’s powering 9 and 10.  My observation is corroborated by the 9/1/54 assignment chart that shows that the J’s were assigned to them then.  I think that this J-train in the photo could possibly have been 9 or 10, too. Bud Jeffries From: NW Mailing List Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 11:38 AMTo: NW Mailing List Subject: Re: [Spam] RE: The Pocahontas Image That is not a BMf in the shadow of the bridge. Looks like a Pg. Besides, the RPO on #4 would be the first car behind the engine, and it should have been an M1. Apparently the M1 came off at Roanoke and was replaced by a BMf, but photos imply that this was not always the case. I still think it looks like #24. 9 and 10 generally ran behind a K2.
Jim Nichols

The timetable I have closest to the date is October 1953.  This is not train
46, The Tennessean which was due Roanoke 2:02 pm.  The consist does not
match.  Train 9 would arrive 5:40 pm.  The Pocahontas was due 11:05 am.  The
photo  looks like the eastbound Pocahontas in that time frame which was
heavy with headend cars arriving Roanoke.  Is the car in the shadow of the
bridge a BMf postal-baggage? The Pocahontas acquired a M1 full length RPO
after 1954.  I could not find a listing for trains 23 & 24 in my timetable.

For a photo of the eastbound Pocohontas in 1954 see page 36 "Norfolk &
Western Passenger Service 1946-1971" by Warden, revised by Ken Miller.

For a photo of the Tennessean in this time frame:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=300917&skip=2

--Rick Morrison