NOB (Naval Operations Base)

Tue Oct 27 19:08:09 EDT 2015

I remember when I came to the N&W as Assistant Superintendent, after  the
"merger" in June 1982., we had irregular unit train movements of combat
military equipment coming from various locations west of Roanoke via the  N&W,
and then on the olde VGN line to Sewell Point into NOB.   These were mostly
active duty reserve Army units to be loaded aboard USN  ships.  Although we
also had capability at Little Creek, we rarely received  equipment there.  I
went on to the Eastern Division at Greensboro in  1988, and we also received
similar trains of Army equipment via the olde  A&EC destine for interchange
with the Beaufort and Moorehead City at the  latter with a final
destination of Radio Island for loading on ships.  My  most vivid memories are
reserved for the CSX movements of Army equipment in unit  trains that we received
in downtown Fayetteville, N.C.  That was truly  ugly.  Sewed up the entire
town.  But I would drive down there  everytime that movement occurred, just to
make sure CSX didn't screw us!

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

Bill Browder

In a message dated 10/27/2015 2:39:46 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,