Mine tags

Wed Oct 28 17:40:31 EDT 2015

Into the 1950's, mine tags were tacked to loads by a tipple clerk who
kept a logbook of car and lading info. Mine run conductors recorded
setoffs and pickups in a train book that they turned in at the end of
the run for a yard clerk to write up as a CR10 (wheel report).
Eventually, all conductors would become responsible for wheel reports.

Tags were color-coded by destination for ease of crews to sort and block
loads, this being typically done at the tipple to minimize delays at set
off points along main tracks. Loads without tags ("no-tags"), typically
of coal yet to be sold, were not to be pulled and could not exceed 25
percent of the mine rating. One notable exception to this rule was
Keystone whose tipple track capacity was limited such that it had to be
worked several times a day. No-tags were moved to Eckman or Kimball Yard
to avoid blocking off a tipple good for a million tons a year and
trusted to account for the orphan loads.

An alternative to avoid the 25 percent limit or maintain outlet track
capacity was to tag the car for storage and the mine operator would
contact the dispatcher with the numbers of the affected cars to then be
forwarded to a nearby storage location. Huger Middle Track was one such
location when Superior was slow due to lake ice, although the east end
remained reserved for Maitland short loads headed east to Bluestone,
thence to Crane Creek. Anyway, entries were made in the train book and
tags stayed on the cars--no waybills.

Generally, tags stayed on the car until it was about to be weighed. East
loads were untagged by a "tag puller" walking the yard, weighed, logged,
issued a proper waybill, and classified at Bluefield except Tidewater
which ran through to Lamberts Point. West loads were untagged, weighed,
logged, billed, and classified at East Portsmouth except barge coal at
Kenova. Eventually, tags were simply given to the mine run conductors by
tipple operators, starting the blur between "tags" and "bills."

Grant Carpenter