Virginian AG's taken over by N&W

Sat Jan 9 12:19:17 EST 2016

N&W was almost all diesel by the time of the Vgn merger (late 1959) and was already scrapping their own steam. The AG's were not "mothballed;" they were sold for scrap, along with the last PA.
Jim Nichols

 Members , here is a question from an Englishman
I have read several books on the Virginian RR and Gene Huddlestones book on the H8
My question is  :Why did the N&W mothball the 8 AG's it inherited from the Virginian. It seems to me that those 8 locomotives would have fitted in well with N&W "A" diagrams
Geoff Burton