signal apparatus - ADDENDUM

Mon Feb 8 19:00:09 EST 2016

Abram,

Please ignore my last post, mangled as it was, and bear with me--I'm
confused. Prior to WAB/NKP, could the N&W have used route signaling in
the guise of speed signaling, beyond simply that speed can imply the
route as route signaling implies the max speed? Or a hybrid system?

How early does "prescribed speed" appear in the rule books? This sounds
like a route signaling term. How early do diverging-specific indications
appear, regardless of name? Further, "medium" in an aspect name sounds
like speed signaling, but eventually (or always?) had nothing to do with
speed in Medium Clear, Medium Approach and Approach Medium, instead
indicating "prescribed speed." I believe the indication for Approach was
preparing to stop at next signal, later medium speed language was added,
still later deleted?

Enginemen have acknowledged some confusion over "medium," but only in
rules class--they knew their territory well enough to handle trains
safely, regardless of semantics. What was less information about speed
amounted to more train-handling flexibility. Could semantics be the only
difference here?

Thanks, Abram.

Grant Carpenter