new question (Brent Greer's Questions on Markers) - PHOTO OF PYREX CHIMNEY

Wed Feb 24 05:16:11 EST 2016

Sincere thanks Abram.  I always appreciate the details of your posts.  (and I'm even rather fond of turnips :-)

Brent Greer

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 15:29:13 -0500
Subject: Re: new question (Brent Greer's Questions on Markers) - PHOTO OF PYREX CHIMNEY

Further in answer to Brent Greer's questions about markers...

Attached is a photo of a Pyrex "chimney"
which clipped down around the marker wick and protected the flame from
drafts.  The left end shoved down into the four retaining spring wires,
and projections bent into the spring wires seated in the "detent" cast
into the glass, thereby holding the chimney firmly in place.
I found a pair of these in the oil can cabinet of an old wooden N&W caboose 50+ years ago.
Photo
 attached.  And, so that you chaps don't have to be constantly offended
by the name on the ruler I use in photographs for showing scale, if
someone will send me a nice N&W ruler, I will be delighted to use it
 in future photographs !
-- abram burnett