Question for MR. KING: N&W Ashcroft Duplex Gauge

Sat Mar 5 17:47:46 EST 2016

Abram – I would defer to Louis Newton for a good answer to this.

I believe that the Mallets would be the only engines using this gauge, because the others did not have receiver pipes (the conduit from the high-pressure exhaust to the low-pressure intake) but they all had steam chest pressure gauges.  This gauge pointing to a value more than 300 pounds sort of stretches the credulity, since nothing would be higher than full boiler pressure of 300 pounds.

But that’s just off the top of my head; Louis can probably give better information.

EK