Retry on Riding N&W Clip #1

Fri Mar 25 16:55:54 EDT 2016

According to "Norfolk and Western Railway Company Transportation
Department, Consist of all Main Line Passenger Trains" dated March 15, 1954
(available from NWHS Archives for a very modest cost), the following westbound
trains had cars added or removed in Bluefield at least one day of the  week:
- No. 3 (Pocahontas) Bluefield to Columbus Postal Car added.
- No. 15 (Cavalier) Washington to Norton Storage Mail Car removed
- No. 23 (unnamed) Bluefield to Columbus and Bluefield to Cincinnati
Storage Mail Cars added (doubtful this is the train in the video)
- No. 25 (Powhatan Arrow) Norfolk to Bluefield Coach removed (Sunday  only)

Unfortunately, the shots along the New River are not clear enough to see if
 there was head-end equipment behind the J; if none, that would mean the
Arrow  rather than one of the others.  Interestingly, when leaving Bluefield,
for  just an instant there's a view of the end of a streamlined coach that's
off to  the side.  That lends weight to the theory that it's the Arrow on a
Sunday,  and that the coach in the view is the one removed.

I didn't attempt to analyze January shadow angles versus time of day for
trains; I'll leave that to others!

Regards,

Dave Phelps

In a message dated 3/25/2016 3:29:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,