Virginian Railway Electrification/Riding the N&W Steam Clips

Wed Apr 6 08:56:24 EDT 2016

Hi Tracy

The streetcar barn would have nothing to do with the VGN electrification. The only connection was there was a trolley track crossed the VGN just about Walnut Avenue bridge, just east of the end of electrification to reach the barn. Likewise, the power plant that was there was initially for the streetcar operation, with no connection to the VGN.

The Virginian power plant was at Narrows, provided power to the entire electrification. At Matoka, there was a cross country wire connection to the N&W's electrification power to allow power to be taken by either road if necessary.

At Roanoke, the VGN station is in the final phases of renovation with significant completion by the end of this month, with a certificate of occupancy to follow by the end of May.  Now, this will be the completion of the building and its systems, not the final interior. The large passenger building is available for lease for a commercial tenant, with expected rental to cover the costs of maintenance and utilities for the entire structure. We expect to do a grand opening once we have secured a tenant. The station is really looking good, fifteen years, and coming up three months since the fire.

Ken Miller