J Class Cabs

Fri Apr 8 19:30:10 EDT 2016

Somewhat off topic, but maybe worthy of discussion; changes to N&W 611's
cab.

I've noticed quite a few changes over the years since 1982. A few of these
Ken Miller touched on. Even since the '90's some changes were made. The
fireman's side originally had two seats but changed in the late 1980's to
one seat and the firing controls were extended. At some point the reverser
was moved to a more prominent location in the engineer's window. Most
likely for ease of use. I had asked Scott Lindsay about this and he said it
was the same as before. Looking back- it would be the same in the early
1990's. Prior to 2015- I had not seen 611 under steam since 1986- and even
the times I saw her statically at VMT, I didn't pay that much attention.
For those with time- peruse the links I added of images from last year,
plus some from other photogs showing some slight differences. Fun stuff
personally, I love it!

Backhead detail
https://flic.kr/p/EENMFP

Throttle
https://flic.kr/p/FtZWuz

Engineer's side controls
https://flic.kr/p/FA5rPN

Compared to 1983 view (Mike Robbins photo)
https://flic.kr/p/pvpdrx

Controls
https://flic.kr/p/FaQ4Qd

Compared to 1983 view (Mike Robbins photo)

Fireman's controls
https://flic.kr/p/FaPaHs

Controls;
https://flic.kr/p/EEtHpG

Ground view of engineer's gauges
https://flic.kr/p/FtTqbR

Reverser (window)
https://flic.kr/p/FrAUMW

Compared to 1985 view with Frank Collins;
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=518480&nseq=31

Complete album of images from 2015
https://flic.kr/s/aHskwY9Z8f

Jeff Lisowski