The Hagerstown Conundrum, Again: HJ "Hager" Tower

Wed May 11 22:15:07 EDT 2016

Bruce,

                The SVRR track charts from 1885 show a single track CVRR with the SVRR diverging at MP H-0.5. There was a SVRR office on Walnut street at the passenger station, and what appears to be a  watchman’s shanty at the switch. This shanty was located on the west side of the Shenandoah Valley line as there was originally no connection with Western Maryland, hence no diamond. I read the contract for the installation of a diamond across the CVRR to reach WM, and at that time it was in the Shenandoah Valley scrapbook, located in the Library there at VPI.  Where it is now, since the N&W material was moved, I do not know. The next chart I have dates from 1912 and shows a structure to the north and east of the diamond. This is not the location of HJ tower, or what we know as Hager Tower. The PRR coach yard located to the east of the diamond was installed by then. I then have a chart for the planned construction of Vardo yard dated September 1, 1921, which shows Hager tower (as we know it), in place. I always thought this was a Pennsylvania, rather than N&W design.

Mason Cooper