Thu Jun 2 17:37:00 EDT 2016

Last night I had the pleasure of "Takin' Twenty" with six of the Brethren
and Friends of the Virginian Railway. Joining us was Eddy Mooneyham who is
on the 611 crew that keeps her running in tip top shape.  He shared with
the Brethren some of his "news from the road" about the latest NS and other
rail happenings.  Eddy is also a great Friend of the Virginian Railway and
supports all we are doing at the Roanoke Chapter NRHS.

The ebay report this time includes the following Virginian Railway items
sold:  1930 VGN RWY Pass (Colored) for $20.00;  H. Reid "The Virginian
Railway" 1961 first edition for $33.90;  and a 1954 negative of #3 Roanoke
to Page for $23.50.

For Show and Tell I took a Buck knife I had made for all the Safety
Committee Members at Roanoke Shops during the 1980s when I was the Safety
Co-ordinator for the Shops.  I became friends with the Buck Knife Co.
Representative who lived in Martinsville, VA, and he worked out a deal that
"I couldn't refuse" for these Bucklite knives with the Norfolk Southern
logo on the blade and the Committeeman's name lazered into the grip. This
prompted several knives being presented by the Brethren.  Landon showed one
he got from the NS Operating Department ("Ole Henry") that he has carried
for many years.

The Jewel from the Past is from February 19, 2009:  "Passed around was
Gordon Hamilton's 'Bluefield Daily Telegraph' article of 2-26-09 that
talked about the importance of Sewalls Point Pier.  It stated that 'Sewells
Point Pier was over 5 miles closer to the open ocean that the N&W Piers and
was located so that vessels can dock at any hour of the day or night as the
occasion may necessitate, and it is just west of the 1907 Jamestown
Exposition and directly across the bay from Newport News'.  Also passed was
a 'Roanoke Times' '100 years ago today' article from last Monday's paper
that states 'The first passenger train from Norfolk over the Virginian
Railway, arrived here at 9 o'clock last night--right on the dot.  Raymond
East immediately asked "Was it the right day?"

Then there's this:  A fellow got on the train at Buffalo and instructed the
porter: 'I must be sworn-in tomorrow morning as a Legistlator in Albany.
It is very important that I get off there.  Even if I'm asleep and in my
pajamas, don't fail to put me off when we arrive in Abany'.  The porter
promised he'd see to it that it would be done.  The next thing the
Legislator knew is that he found himself in Grand Central Station in New
York City. He was burning; he rushed up and down Grand Central Station in
his pajamas, yelling and swearing at the top of his voice.  The porter saw
him and hid behind a post.  Another porter walked over to the hiding porter
and asked:  "What's the matter with that man running in his pajamas--boy is
he mad!"  "Yeh, but nothing compared to the man I put off in Albany!"

Time to pull the pin on this one!

Departing Now from V248,

Skip Salmon

DCVI