Flickwir

Sun Jun 26 14:25:32 EDT 2016

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 6:33 AM, Bob wrote:

Wasn't Flickwir also involved as a treasurer or something like that while
> the SVRR was under receivership in the 1880's right before it was taken
> over by the N&W?

He was superintendent of the Shenandoah Valley Railroad when it was taken
over by the N&W and became General Superintendent of the Eastern Division
of the N&W. A search of the on-line newspaper archives in the Library of
Virginia turned up some articles that mention Flickwir, but nothing really
about his move from the N&W to contracting. Some of the articles that
turned up (or were on the same page) give some interesting tidbits about
the N&W at the end of the 1800s.

Bruce in Blacksburg

------------
Staunton Spectator, Volume 62, Number 52, 9 September 1885

David W. Flickwir, Superintendent
Shenandoah Valley Railroad

----
Staunton Spectator, Volume 68, Number 18, 17 December 1890, pg. 3

Norfolk, and Western R. R. Company.
Office of the President,
Philadelphia. Dec. 15th, 1890.

The Shenandoah Valley Railroad has been acquired by the Norfolk & Western
Railroad Company, as of October 1st, 1890, and will hereafter be known as
the Maryland & Washington Division of the Norfolk & Western Railroad, and
the jurisdiction of the heads of departments of the Norfolk & Western
Railroad Co. has been extended over this division.

>From and after this date the Maryland & Washington Division will be
operated in two subdivisions—that portion of the line between Roanoke and
Shenandoah will be operated as the Roanoke Division, and that portion
between Shenandoah and Hagerstown will be operated as the Shenandoah
Division.

F. J. Kimball, President.
333 Walnut Street,
Philadelphia, Dec. 15th. 1890.

At a meeting of the Board of Directors, held November 26th, 1890, Mr.
Joseph H. Sands was appointed Vice-President, in charge of the
Transportation Department, to take effect January 1st, 1891. Mr. Sands will
continue to act as General Manager.

The following appointments by the President, under the revised organization
for conducting the business of the Company, were confirmed, to take effect
January 1st, 1891:—

David W Flickwir, General Superintendent Eastern Division, of Roanoke, Va;
A C Hippey, General Superintendent Western Division, of Roanoke, Va; O
Howard Royer, Assistant Gen'l Freight Agent, of Roanoke, Va; E T Burnett,
Assistant Purchasing Agent, Roanoke, Va: G R W Armes, Assistant Treasurer,
of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; Walter MacDowell, Assistant Auditor, of
Roanoke, Virginia.

F. J. KIMBALL, President.
A. J. Hemphill, Secretary.

---------
Life is full of sorrows and disappointments, but the most sanguine hopes of
all those who try Dr. Bull's Cough Syrup are always realized. It never
disappoints. At all dealers. Price 25 cents.

---------
The Roanoke Times, Volume 10, Number 158, 20 March 1892, pg. 5

FAREWELL DINNER.
Jos H. Sands Pleasantly Entertained Last Night.

David W. Flickwir, general superintendent of the Eastern division of the
Norfolk and Western railroad, gave a farewell dinner to Vice-President and
General Manager Jos. H. Sands at Hotel Roanoke last night. Mr. Sands sails
on the first of the month for Europe.

The dinner, which was a sumptuous one, was spread in President Kimball's
private apartments, the rooms being handsomely decorated with flowers and
plants. Mr. Flickwir sat at the head of the table with Mr. Sands at the
foot. The other gentlemen present were Messrs. Lucien B. Cocke, O. H.
Royer, Frank Huger, J. Allen Watts, W. W. Coe, H. S. Trout, F. C. Hippey,
R. H. SouIe and Henry Fairfax.

---------

The Roanoke Times, Volume 10, Number 197, 5 May 1892, pg. 5

A DAY OF MEETINGS.
The Norfolk and Western Elects its Officers.

The numerous companies whose headquarters are here held elections for
officers and directors yesterday to serve for the ensuing year. Many
Northern capitalists of note who are interested in these companies were in
the city looking after and discussing the affairs of the companies in which
they are interested and mapping out plans for their future. Many
improvements are contemplated involving millions of dollars, which go to
show what faith is put in the future of this section. Among the companies
which held meetings yesterday were the following:

The annual meeting of the stockholders of the Norfolk and Western Railroad
Company was held in this city yesterday morning at the office of
VicePresident and General Manager Sands. After the usual routine business
the following officers were elected: F. J. Kimball, president: William B.
Bullitt, assistant to president: Charles H. Melton, assistant to president:
Joseph H. Sands, vice-president and general manager; Charles G. Eddy,
vice-president; William G. McDowell, treasurer; G. R. Armes, assistant
treasurer; M. C. Jamison, comptroller; W. W. Coe, chief engineer: David W.
Flickwir, general superintendent; C. S. Churchill, engineer maintenance of
way; R. H. Soule, superintendent motive power; A. J. Hemphill, secretary;
Joseph I. Doran, solicitor, with the following board of directors: F. J.
Kimball, C. H. Clark, Chas. Hacker, Joseph I. Doran, Richard S. Brock,
Samuel A. Crozer, A. J. Dull, U. L. Boyce, Walter H. Taylor, Robert
Flemming, Howland Davis, William Vivian, in place of Everett Gray,
deceased, and Henry Wheelen, Jr., in place of N. C. Houston, resigned.

After the election of officers the party adjourned to the special train in
waiting for them at the depot, where they took lunch, and on which most of
them left at 1:30 for a tour of inspection over the western division, in
company with Col. Huger and Superintendent Hippey. The party reached
Bluefield last night, where they stopped over until to-day, when they went
on to the end of the track of the Ohio extension, at Welch. They will
return by way of Pulaski today, where they will spend the night, passing
through this city tomorrow en route to Norfolk.

THE ROANOKE LAND AND IMPROVEMENT COMPANY.

The Roanoke Land and Improvement Company held their annual meeting
yesterday morning. The following officers were elected to serve for the
ensuing year: Clarence H. Clark, president; Henry S. Trout, vice-president;
H. E. Gerhard, secretary and treasurer. The following directors also were
chosen: C. H. Clark, Chas. Hacker, F. J. Kimball, F. S. Kimball, E. W.
Clark, Clarence H. Clark, Jr., P. L. Terry, H. S. Trout and D. W. Flickwir.

SUFFOLK LAND COMPANY.

At the annual meeting of the Suffolk Land Company yesterday, in the office
of its secretary, Malcom W. Bryan, J. H. Dingee was elected president and
Mr. Bryan re-elected secretary and treasurer. The old board of directors
was also re-elected.

CROZER STEEL AND IRON COMPANY.

At the meeting of the stockholders of tbe Crozer Steel and Iron Company
held in this city yesterday the following officers and directors were
elected: Samuel A. Crozer, president; John P. Crozer, treasurer; Francis B.
Weston, secretary, and T. J. Houston. C. P. Houston, S. A. Crozer, J. P.
Crozer and W. H. Robinson, directors.

SHENANDOAH FURNACE COMPANY.

The Shenandoah Furnace Company held their meeting at Hotel Roanoke
yesterday, electing the following officers and directors: David W.
Flickwir, president; H. E. Gerhard, secretary and treasurer, and F. S.
Klmball, Clarence H. Clark. Joseph I. Doran, J. H. Duegee, Harry F. West,
David W. Flickwir, and Jos. H. Sands, directors.

VIRGINIA LAND COMPANY.

At the meeting of this company in this city yesterday, the following
officers and directors were elected: Joseph I. Doran, president; J. H.
Duegee, general manager and treasurer; J. M. Wirgman, secretary; W. B.
Campbell, London agent; Malcom W. Bryan, superintendent, and Jos. I. Doran,
J. H. Dingee, S. W. Colton, jr., F. J. Kimball, and Malcom W. Bryan,
directors.

THE VIRGlNIA COMPANY.

This company yesterday elected the following officers and directors: F. J.
Kimball, president; W. G. McDowell, treasurer; A. J. Hemphill, secretary,
and C. H. Clark, F. J. Kimball, Jos. I. Doran, A. J. Dull, Chas. Hacker, W.
C. Bullit and W. G. McDowell, directors.

ROANOKE MACHINE WORKS.

This company elected the following directors: F. J. Kimball. C. H. Clark,
Jos. I. Doran. W. C. Bullit, Jos. H. Sands, W. G. McDowell, and P. L.
Terry, with F. J. Kimball, president; W. G. McDowell, treasurer, and A. J.
Hemphill, secretary.

--------
The Roanoke Times, Volume 10, Number 300, 2 September 1892, pg. 4

Norfolk and Western Notes.

During the month of August there were shipped over the road 11,471 cars of
coke and coal. This is the heaviest shipment for any month in the history
of the road.

Thirty-four hundred feet of track was laid yesterday on the Ohio extension.
Seventeen miles yet remain to be laid.

A fast freight is now running between Norfolk and Chattanooga. It carries
perishable goods and makes the time in forty-eight hours.

Superintendent D. W. Flickwir is off on a vacation trip to Long Branch.

H. H. O. Handy, division engineer maintenance of way, left yesterday to see
about changing the line at East Liberty.

Thos. S. Davant, general freight agent, has removed his family to this
place from Chattanooga.

-------------
Alexandria Gazette, Volume 94, Number 255, 26 October 1893, pg. 2

Mr. W. D. Flickwir, superintendent of the Shenandoah Valley Railroad, was
yesterday married to Miss Charlotte Nalle, of Orange county. Senator Henry
Fairfax was best man.

------
The Roanoke Daily Times, Volume 15, Number 271, 13 August 1896, pg. 5

MR. HIPPEY'S FUNERAL.

A Large Concourse Gathered to Pay Their Last Respects.

The funeral services of General Superintendent A. C. Hippey, of the Norfolk
and Western Railroad Company, took place yesterday afternoon at 5 o'clock
at the family residence, 26 Ninth avenue s. w., and were conducted by Rev.
L. G. M. Miller, of St. Mark's Lutheran Church, in the presence of the
family and a large number of friends, after which the remains were taken to
the City Cemetery, where they were laid to rest. The funeral services were
conducted at the grave, where a large concourse of friends had gathered, by
Rev. Mr. Miller.

The funeral procession was headed by the Jos. H. Sands' Division B. of L.
E. in a body, followed by the hearse and numbers of the G. A. R. The active
pallbearers were Jos. H. Sands, W. W. Coe, Col. F. Huger, Dr. Jos. A. Gale,
D. W. Flickwir and John G. Osborne. The honorary pall bearers were Dr.
Alexander Craig, Jos. W. Coxe and J. Robinson.

The long line of carriages contained, first, the immediate members of the
family, followed by friends, relatives, clerks in Mr. Hippey's department,
and railroad division superintendents. The flower-bearers were Frank
Helverstine, Harmon Woodward, Austin R. Neal, Jos. Sands and E. R. Hooge.
The floral offerings were beautiful, bountiful and costly, the anchor and
cross being magnificent.

Among the friends of the deceased who were in attendance were A. C.
Preston, engineer of maintenance of way, P. and E. of Pennsylvania
railroad; G. W. Creighton, superintendent of the middle division of the
Pennsylvania railroad; Dr. Alexander Craig, surgeon of the Pennsylvania
railroad, and all his former associates; also David W. Flickwir, at one
time joint general superintendent with Mr. Hippey; E. D. DuBarry, of Crewe,
superintendent of the Norfolk division; S. O. Malin, superintendent Radford
division; J. W. Cook, Shenandoah, superintendent Shenandoah division, and
Theo. Low, superintendent Lynchburg and Durham division; H. H. S. Handy,
Winston, superintendent Win-ston-Salem division; N. D. Maher,
superintendent Bluefleld division: D. H. Barger, Kenova, superintendent
Kenova division; J. Robinson, of Columbus, Ohio, and A. B. Beck, of
Lynchburg.

-------------

The Roanoke Times, Volume 17, Number 179, 5 May 1897, pg. 8

Coming and Going.

Mr. and Mrs. David W. Flickwir, of Shenandoah, have moved to Roanoke and
will make this their future home.

------
Shenandoah Herald, Volume 89, Number 41, 12 October 1906, pg 2

D. W. Flickwir, railroad contractor, lost his stables in Roanoke county and
in them 22 mules by fire.

------

[This one is interesting in the mention of "Flickwir Street"]

The World News, Volume 35, Number 50, 27 February 1920, pg. 14

LEGAL NOTICES.
TRUSTEE'S SALE.

By virtue of a deed of trust dated October 27, 1919, recorded in deed book
No. 328 page 301, default occurring in payment of two (2) notes for $20.00
and being required so to do by the holder thereof. I will on Monday, the
29th day of March, 1920, at 11 o'clock A. M., in front of Municipal
Building on Campbell Avenue, Roanoke City, Virginia, proceed to sell at
public auction to the highest bidder, that certain parcel of land in said
city described as follows:

BEGINNING at a point on north side of Bullitt Street 330 feet east of
Flickwir Street; thence with Bullitt street in an easterly directtion 30
feet to a point; and extending northward between parallel lines 120 feet to
an alley; together with all buildings thereon.

TERMS: Cash, as to enough to pay costs of executing this trust, including
trustee's commission and to pay said past due notes, approximately $115.00
and as to the principal sum of $2,390, in 119 monthly payments on February
27, 1920, and monthly thereafter and, one payment of $10.00, all bearing
interest from October 27, 1919, and the residue if any, in two equal
installments in one and two years after date with interest from date of
sale.

2-27-4fri. W. C. WEAVER. Trustee.