Passenger Station Architecture

Fri Jul 1 14:56:10 EDT 2016

According to Donald R. Traser's book, "Virginia Railway Depots," Bedford
opened in 1891 and was similar in design, though slightly smaller than
Bluefield, built about the same time.

The National Archives in College Park (MD) should have the design
specifications for both depots.  Architects who worked for the railroad are
not always named in the records, but the local public libraries in both
locales may have old newspaper files which may have this information.

J. Kelling

wrote:

> Pure curiosity question - from the photographs, the long-demolished
> Bluefield passenger station and the still-standing (as a very good
> restaurant, "Liberty Station") Bedford, VA ("Liberty" was the old name for
> Bedford) passenger station appear to share both size and (unusual)
> architectural features.
>
> Does anyone know if the same architect designed both?  Are/were there any
> other N&W passenger stations of similar design?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dave Phelps
>
> --
> (If you have not already, please note my new e-mail address.)

JK