Mullins Middle Track

Fri Aug 5 13:14:05 EDT 2016

Jim,

Pocahontas and Bluestone Branch mine runs returning east to Bluefield
needed to set off their west coal upon reaching the main line at
Bluestone. Flat Top Yard and Mullins Middle Track were used to store
these loads for Elkhorn crews out of Bluefield to pick up and forward to
Eckman and after about 1950, River crews to forward to Williamson. When
cleared of loads, westbound Elkhorn crews would stop to set off empties
for pick up by outbound mine runs the next day. The middle track's west
end joined the WB main and east end joined the EB main with hand-throws
for trailing-point moves.

So far, all I have for time frame is that it came out by the sixties
after the decline of coal in the area, particularly westbound. A related
item of interest in Division archives was a study to add a middle track
for west coal at Bluestone versus expanding Flat Top Yard. The middle
track would have minimized the reverse haul east of west coal, but the
yard expansion was less costly and was built about August of 1926. The
Mullins Middle Track was situated in bottom land that should have had a
lower build cost, but was even farther east.

Grant Carpenter