J610 Powhatan Arrow Photo

Tue Nov 15 12:21:32 EST 2016

Message: 1
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 13:50:23 +0000

Have an 11x17 photo in an old internal mail envelope from the N&W. The
envelope has three names - all in the GOB - on it, and the photo doesn't
have a number on the back like I'm accustomed to seeing. It also still has
the utility poles and an abandoned third track showing in the photo, so
it's unaltered.

Vince Albert

Message: 3
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 13:12:45 -0500

Vince

This was one of the photos taken along the New River over a period of time.
The most well known is the retouched and hand colored version that is on
the framable prints. The photo numbering of large format N&W color
transparencies was totally different than those of negatives. This was
originally a 4x5 transparency, and as you say, unretouched. I don't have an
exact date for it, but likely to be December of 1949.

I used this in my Class J book.

Best
Ken Miller

-----

Yes! Thanks Ken. Found it on pg. 125 of your Class J book. Definitely looks
like December - I spent many Decembers there.

On pg. 80 of your book is a great view of the river looking northward (WB
on the line) toward where the photo in question here was taken.

-----

Message: 4
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 20:15:03 +0000 (UTC)

Might have a long lost relative that was employed by N&W ? ?Ron Hash

-----

The initials on the envelope for Mr. Hash appear to be "C. E.".

-----

Thanks to all for the replies.

Vince Albert