Where? -- BALL's HOLE

Mon Nov 21 06:50:39 EST 2016

The bottom of Ball's Hole was at the railroad bridge crossing Roanoke
River, between Singer and Elliston. I have given away my N&W Bridge Book,
so can't give you the bridge number. Center of the bridge is at approximate
coordinates Lat 37.2269, Lon -80.2085.

This railroad bridge is located about 500 feet east of the junction of
Enterprise Road (Elliston Vol. Fire Co.) with Lee Highway (Rte. 460) and
about 190 feet south of the highway's eastbound bridge over the river. A
JPG file showing a Google Street View is attached, and the view loooks
southward from the highway bridge..

It is this bridge which I believe was raised about twenty feet when Ball's
Hole was filled and raised, around 1957.

-- abram burnett