"BA" Tower location?

Sun Nov 27 23:25:45 EST 2016

Abram, Bruce, Ed,

Wilson's was located in what community? Lafayette was up the river and
Kumis was across and down the river, and both were on the VGN.

A long shot, but happened to find this...

Go to:

http://54.225.90.98/MapServer/DoGis

Pan right (east) past Elliston to where the N&W main crosses the Roanoke
County line and zoom in. Following property lines, note the somewhat
rectangular tract just back west of the county line on the south side of
the main line where Cove Hollow Road turns south from having paralleled
the main. Note that the tract is not annotated, but appears contiguous
with the NS right of way, and the back lot line appears to parallel the
tracks. Cove Hollow Road cuts across the front, but on a modern-looking
contortion of an alignment to move its intersection with a relocated US
11/460.

What if: the station named "Balls" or "BA" stood here, where Cove Hollow
Road crossed at grade, to intersect with the predecessor to US 11 just
across the tracks, adjacent to the community once known as Balls, Va.? I
can understand why the name didn't stick. Suggested locations for "BA"
Tower have been from Singer west to 1.3 miles east of Elliston. With
Ball's Hole at MP N-274.3, this location is at MP N-274.7 about 1.5
miles west of Singer and about 3 miles east of Elliston and,
incidentally, was centered between opposing signals.

The archived photo may have helpful clues.

Grant Carpenter