electrified location

Tue Jan 17 10:51:55 EST 2017

Jim Cochran asked:
> Can anyone help identify the location of this photo currently on Ebay:
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-NEGATIVE-Neg-A740-1950s-N-W-Norfolk-Western-Articulated-Steam-Coal-/272519614252?hash=item3f736f4f2c:g:HScAAOSwnHZYd6rk

I'm not 100% convinced this is even in (former) electrified territory.
If it is, it is after the wires came down - note there are no insulators
hanging from the signal bridge. All the wires in the picture appear to be
connected to the line pole in front of the electrical cabinet.

My first instinct was that it was at present-day Vivian Bottom Road.
But I don't know it there were signals there back in steam days, or
how the photographer could have gotten that high angle there. Also,
I'm not sure The road behind the train is steep enough for there.

Joe Shaw
Christiansburg, VA