signals under electrification

Sun Mar 5 13:25:35 EST 2017

Thanks to Jim, Mason and especially Harry for the information.  Harry, I
agree that the 01/01 date is suspect not only because of the foliage, but
also, since the new tunnel wasn't opened until June, I don't think they
could have removed the wire prior.  But that does bring up and interesting
side question.  They were  re-aligning the grade from Northfork to Coopers
for 2 or 3 years prior to ending electrified operations.  I assume much of
the traffic though the old tunnel still needed electric units for the same
reasons they were brought on in the first place, so I would further assume
that to get the electrics where they needed to go, they had to maintain the
whole electrified section actively while the construction was taking place
by either moving components as they moved the right of way, or building new
stuff, which seems a bit of a waste knowing that it was only going to be
used for a couple years.  Did they de-electrify any of the main or branches
prior to throwing the big switch when the new tunnel was placed in service?
Also, I ran across archive item NW01199 (attached) labelled as Powhatan
showing a signal bridge that was clearly build for the electrification
(latticed supports) with PL signals, but the shot was obviously post
electric operations because the wires are all gone, there are no other
supports in site, and the tops of the supports that would have carried the
high-tension lines have even been removed.  Can't draw any conclusions
about my original proposition because there's no way to know if the PLs
were installed prior to the end of electric operations, but environmental
kudos to N&W for re-using infrastructure.  I'm still on the hunt for
evidence of PLs being used in the electrified section.
Jim Cochran