Domestic coal onesy-twosy

Thu Mar 16 11:45:04 EDT 2017

I wonder what the daily demurrage      charge was back then.

          WJPowers

      Can't give you a figure, but before the Permit System became effective,
coal at Lamberts Point had 10 demurrage-free days.  As the expiration of
free days neared,   local coal agents would swap one unsold load for
another to avoid paying demurrage.  Depending on origin, analysis, etc.,
coal classes had names.  "Orange" and "November" are two that come to
mind.  So it was "take my car of "Orange" today and you can pay me back
with a car of "November" later.                           Harry Bundy