Post-64 Head End Cars

Fri May 19 19:45:06 EDT 2017

On the Cleveland NKP side, one of our yard crews at E 55th St (usually a
roustabout) would make a dash to Cleveland Union Terminal to grab a
carload of berries off of a NYC passenger train for non-stop delivery to
the Northern Ohio Food Terminal. A crew on a truck or freight platform
would be waiting to unload and give each man on our crew a pint of
whatever we had brought to them.

     In addition to the NOFT business, the Wheeling District side ran
two trains of 30 or so cars a day to the Kroger Warehouse at Solon, OH
on the Chagrin Falls Branch. Hours of switching using 4 mu'ed ALCo S
switchers without tight lock couplers left one with pounded kidneys
after the run.

     WJPowers

---